Do you honor the commitments you make
Often times we forget making a commitment is the act of agreement to do one thing or another. It is an activity that is sometimes negated and when it does a
breakdown in trust occurs on many levels.
- Do you honor commitments you make to your team-to show up for them–even in tough or uncomfortable situations?
- Do you honor commitments you make to those you network with? Or are the leads, connections and resources you offer others a non-even t
- Do you honor the commitments you make to your family and friends ?
- Are you where you say you’re going to be when you’ve told them you’d be?
- But most importantly do you honor commitments you make to yourself
The most important commitment you make is to yourself.
When you promise that you will do X, Y or Z -say go to the gym, but then you don’t go. You’ve reneged on the commitment you’ ve made to yourself.
When you do this, in essence, you have lied to yourself. Which means when you make other commitments to yourself down the line, chances are you won’t believe them.
You’ll take those commitments with a grain of salt. Why? Because that’s how you’ve performed in the past. You’ ve cemented the behavior.
If this is your internal set up, do you honor the other commitments in your life and work? Remember, how we do one thing, is usually how we do everything.
When you do not honor the commitments you make to your team, peers, friends and family it sets up the same cycle of mistrust. They will not take you seriously. Nor will your word be taken seriously.
Because you haven’t taken the commitment you’ve made seriously.
They know this about you.
A person who does not convey trust to those they are working with will never be truly successful. You’ve got to be a trusted leader in order for others to follow you.
Which means, in this case, you must be someone who says what they’re going to do and then does it. Hopefully you do it without pageantry.
Keep ing your word is so important in building your reput ations and following as a person in business. It shows you are a person of quality and integrity because;
- You keep your word.
- When you say you’ ll help someone else you do it…And you actually care about the success of others.
People are loyal to those they trust. People will follow the direction of the people they trust because they have shown them they have integrity.